班尔奇

Dozens evacuated from Mariupol after weeks under siege

Release time:2022-05-02 Publisher:South Asia Development

Dozens of civilians have been evacuated from Mariupol to both Russia-controlled and Ukraine-controlled territory after weeks under siege.

Some have left the Azovstal steelworks, the last hold-out of Ukrainian troops in the strategically significant city.

Russia said dozens of civilians have arrived in a village it controls.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said a large group is also on its way to Zaporizhzhia, which Ukraine maintains control of.

The United Nations confirmed that a “safe passage operation” had begun to evacuate the citizens on Saturday, and that it was involved alongside the Red Cross.

The UN said the evacuation convoy arrived on Saturday morning but did not give details on where people were being taken or how many had left, saying that sharing details could jeopardise the safety of the operation.

Reuters footage from the complex show civilians – mainly women and children – being helped to walk over piles of rubble, and boarding a bus with missing windows.

One woman with a six-month-old baby said they had been trapped in the steelworks for two months.

Another older woman said they were running out of food.

Ukrainian officials said Russian shelling resumed on the steel plant after Sunday’s brief ceasefire.

Source - BBC